Green infrastructure – like rain gardens, rain barrels, and permeable pavers – mimic nature to capture, store, and filter stormwater and help protect the environment. Many property owners in Pittsburgh have installed green solutions to reduce stormwater runoff from their roofs, driveways, or parking lots.
If you have green infrastructure on your property, follow these deep-cleaning tips to prepare for spring rains:
- Remove any trash leaves, sediment, weeds, or invasive plants. Be sure to also remove dead stalks or spent flower blooms on perennial plants and replace any dead plants.
- Inspect soil and mulch depth and quality and replace if necessary.
- Check stormwater inlets and outlets, and repair or replace if necessary.
- Inspect and clean rain barrel tanks and fittings.
- If you have a downspout diverter, switch it over to route water to the rain barrel.
Please visit our Stormwater Fee website to learn more about stormwater control and PWSA's Stormwater Credit Program.