Phillips Park is a city-owned park located in Pittsburgh’s Carrick neighborhood. This stormwater project will help to reduce flooding and basement backups along Yale Drive, Queenstown Street, Lucina Avenue, and Walton Avenue.
Progress & Status
Phase One: Phillips Park Stormwater Project
- Removed and replaced existing asphalt path from Lucina Avenue to the new stairway
- Installed underground storage to capture, hold back, and slowly release stormwater
- Shallow ditches with sides sloping towards the center, also called swales, were installed to direct rainwater to the underground storage system
- Monitors have been installed in nearby sewers and will inform future project phases to manage stormwater in this area
Phillips Park Stormwater Project Modification
- PWSA is planning to add a liner on the downhill side of the stormwater storage system and stabilize the hillside with soil nails.
- Once the construction contract has been awarded, the contractor will begin the modification work soon after.
- Construction is expected to last a few months, and the path within the construction area will be closed to the public during this time for safety.
Locations & Schedule
Start Date: Fall 2019
Completion Date: Spring 2020
Traffic Patterns: Trail Closures: Dilly's Grove between Sinton Avenue and Park Boulevard. Yale Connector Trail between the Carousel Trail and Lucina Avenue