Our assistance programs are designed to provide financial relief for income-qualified residential customers who are having difficulty paying their water, sewer, or stormwater bill. The programs listed below are administered by Dollar Energy Fund.
How to Sign Up
Option 1: Apply Online
- Complete the online application for the Bill Discount Program and Winter Shut Off Moratorium to begin the registration process with our PGH2O Cares team.
Option 2: Call Dollar Energy Fund
- Before calling, review the income eligibility chart at the bottom of the page to determine if your income, based on household size, falls within the income limits for the assistance program(s).
- Call Dollar Energy Fund at 866-762-2348 to confirm your eligibility and to enroll in the program(s).
Bill Discount Program
More than 5,000 income-eligible customers are enrolled in the Bill Discount Program and there are still many more people we can help. Customers earning an annual income that is at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) are eligible. If this program can help you or someone you know, please contact us today. It can substantially reduce your monthly PGH2O bill.
- Provides eligible customers with a 100% discount on the fixed monthly drinking and wastewater conveyance charges. This is a savings of approximately $35.09 per month.
- An additional 50% discount on the volumetric charges (the usage charges over the monthly minimum charge) for customers earning an annual income that is at or below 50% of the FPL.
- 85% reduction on the new stormwater fee.
- A monthly $30 credit to reduce past due balances. Customers must be enrolled in the Bill Discount Program, on an active payment plan, and make on-time payments to receive this benefit.
- All verified low-income customers will automatically be enrolled in the Winter Shut Off Moratorium.
- Enrollment is applicable for 2 years.
The Bill Discount Program applies to renters when the tenant is the responsible billing party. If a landlord is the responsible billing party, their tenants may not be considered because the property is income generating or is possibly used for commercial purposes.
Flexible Payment Plans
We offer income-based payment arrangements to help customers pay down high balances without accruing penalties and interest. We also offer special payment arrangements for small business owners. To sign up for a payment arrangement, please call Customer Service at 412-255-2423 (Press 5) or PGH2O Cares at 412-255-2457.
If you are on an active payment plan and enrolled in our Bill Discount Program, please see Arrearage Forgiveness below.
Pay down past due balances faster! A $30 monthly credit is available for each on-time payment for customers who are on an active payment plan and enrolled in the Bill Discount Program.
If you are enrolled in the Bill Discount Program and a payment arrangement, and not past due on the payment arrangement, you will automatically receive the arrearage forgiveness credits.
This program provides cash grants up to $300 per year for customers at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Level. Grants are now available to PWSA’s sewage-only customers to apply to past due wastewater charges. No sincere effort of payment is required to receive this grant.
We have currently distributed more than $165,000 through the program and have helped more than 630 Pittsburgh households maintain essential water services.
Learn more on our Hardship Grant Program webpage.
Winter Shut Off Moratorium
This program provides qualifying customers with the assurance that their water will not be shut off from December 1 through March 31 if they are unable to pay their bill. The Winter Shut Off Moratorium is available to single-family residential customers earning an annual income that is at or below 300% of the Federal Poverty Level.
Even if approved, customers are expected to pay their water and sewer bills. Payment arrangements may be offered. Please call Customer Service to make those arrangements at 412-255-2423 (Press 5).
Do You Have Steam Heat? Let Us Know!
Customers with steam heating systems cannot have their water service terminated during winter months. If your property relies on steam heat, please email us at email@example.com or call 412-255-2423.
Registering your account will prevent service terminations due to non-payment from December 1 to March 31. You do not have to be income-qualified.
Community Lead Response
Community Lead Response is an initiative of the Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority dedicated to improving water quality replacing lead water service lines throughout the City of Pittsburgh, and Millvale. As part of Community Lead Response, PWSA will assist customers with the cost of private lead service line replacement if customers choose to proactively hire a plumber and complete the work. Visit our lead site at lead.pgh2o.com for more information.
Our PGH2O Cares team is a group of education and outreach professionals dedicated to working directly with our most vulnerable customers to bolster enrollment in our customer assistance programs and identify ways to reduce water usage.
Learn more on our PGH2O Cares webpage.
Additional Assistance Programs
Visit our Additional Assistance Programs webpage to learn more about the ALCOSAN Clean Water Assistance Fund and Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP).
Annual Income Eligibility Chart