The Maryland Avenue Stormwater Improvement Project will use cost-effective green stormwater solutions throughout Shadyside to reduce runoff entering the combined sewer system. These stormwater solutions will be constructed within the public right of way (public streets and sidewalks).
Progress & Status
February 7, 2022 Community Meeting
- We are hosting an online community meeting on Monday, February 7, 2022 from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM to review construction plans for Howe Street.
- To learn more and register for the meeting, please visit the event webpage.
- Capture and store stormwater runoff before it reaches our overwhelmed combined sewer system
- Reduce combined sewer overflows in the A-22 sewershed
- Reduce basement backups and neighborhood flooding
Phase One: Howe Street and Kentucky Avenue
- Permeable pavers, storm inlets, and underground stone storage will be installed in the parking lane between South Negley Avenue and College Street.
- PWSA coordinated with City Forestry to protect healthy mature street trees and replace removed trees.
- Final restoration of Kentucky Avenue is complete. Street tree plantings on Kentucky Avenue and Howe Street will be completed in 2022.
- Project construction has paused for winter. Construction on Howe Street is expected to begin in spring 2022 with the start date weather-dependent.
*Schedule could change due to weather, unforeseen site conditions, etc.
- This project is partially funded by ALCOSAN’s GROW grant program.
Locations & Schedule
The project area is located near Kentucky Avenue, South Negley Avenue and Summerlea Street, Alder Street, and South Highland Avenue. The first phase of the project includes Howe Street and Kentucky Avenue between South Negley Avenue and College Street.
Start Date: Kentucky Avenue started late June 2021. Howe Street expected to start in Spring 2022.
Completion Date: Kentucky Avenue completed December 2021. Howe Street and tree plantings on both streets expected complete Spring 2022.
Please report flooding issues to PWSA Dispatch
24/7 Emergency Dispatch
Press option 1 after dialing
If you have questions, please contact the Project Manager