PennDOT Highway Occupancy Permit (HOP)

Any water or sewer work connecting to PWSA infrastructure to occur within a PennDOT right-of-way will require a Highway Occupancy Permit. Although a PennDOT requirement, the applicant will work with PWSA to obtain the permit. A development permit must be approved prior to applying for a HOP. A completed M-949C Form along with anticipated date range of construction is required. A Maintenance Bond of a minimum of $30,000 will be required. The amount of the Maintenance Bond may be more dependent upon scope of work as determined by PWSA. A hard copy with a raised seal can be mailed to:


ATTN: Jake Bishop

1200 Penn Avenue

Pittsburgh, PA 15222

Some common roads that are owned by PennDOT:

  • Butler Street
  • Carson Street
  • Baum Boulevard
  • West Liberty Avenue
  • Saw Mill Run Boulevard
  • Banksville Road
  • East Ohio Street

This list is not exhaustive. PennDOT should be consulted to determine if your project requires an HOP. A helpful resource is Allegheny County's Who Owns My Infrastructure? interactive map.

To review PennDOT's requirements and guidelines, visit their website.