To maintain the open Highland I Reservoir as a public amenity, we are constructing several projects to meet stricter state water quality regulations and security improvements. These projects will improve the security of our drinking water.
Progress & Status
Restoration of the parapet wall around the Highland I Reservoir
- The majority of the construction on the first half of the wall is complete. The contractor is setting the hand railing.
- Demolition is complete on the second half of the wall.
- Construction of this portion of the new wall is underway. The contractor is using a mobile concrete slip forming machine to pour the concrete.
- This machine moves along the edge of the wall as concrete pours into each section allowing the contractor to continuously move from one section to the next.
- Extensive deterioration of portions of the wall base was discovered during the demolition of the second half of the wall. The contractor will replace this 460-foot section of the base.
- Once the wall is complete, the contractor will restore the walkway around the reservoir. This is dependent on the availability of asphalt suppliers as COVID-19 restrictions are lifted and they reopen. This could possibly cause a project delay.
Completed installation of ultraviolet disinfection at the Membrane Filtration Plant (MFP) on Reservoir Drive
Completed installation of security cameras to provide a 360-degree view of the reservoir and surrounding walkway
Restoring the parapet wall
All of the projects, with the exception of the parapet wall, were completed this summer. The restoration work began in September and will continue through Spring 2020. During construction, the public will not have access to the walkway around the reservoir. We are closing it to expedite the work and maintain public safety while construction is taking place.
Press Release: Restoration of Parapet Wall Begins
Locations & Schedule
Start Date: Spring 2019
Completion Date: Spring 2020
Work Schedule: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday
Traffic Patterns: The walkway around the Highland I Reservoir is closed