The Highland II Reservoir Liner and Cover Replacement includes the demolition and removal of the existing liner and cover and installation of a new reservoir liner, floating cover, and supplemental equipment such as the rainwater removal pumps and associated piping on the floating cover.
Progress & Status
- PWSA contracted with Arcadis, a leading design and engineering firm, to develop the plans to replace the liner and cover in October 2019.
- PWSA completed design in 2020 and submitted the permit application to the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) in June 2020. PWSA received final PA DEP Construction Permit approval in January 2021.
- PWSA issued the construction bid documents on February 10, 2021 and anticipates starting construction in 2022.
Construction activities began in April 2022. To date, crews have replaced the liner and cover. The reservoir will be refilled sometime in mid-November 2022.
The replacement of the liner and cover is part of our Water Reliability Plan. It will meet water safety and regulatory requirements and create greater reliability within our water distribution system. The reservoir will be used as a temporary clearwell while the new clearwell is being constructed. The replacement of the liner and cover is the largest project of this type happening in 2021 and 2022.
About the Highland II Reservoir
- The Highland II Reservoir was constructed between 1897 and 1903 with a capacity of 125 million gallons of water.
- The Highland II Reservoir supplies water to portions of Squirrel Hill, Downtown, South Side, and West End. Water is pumped from the reservoir and stored in elevated tanks to store water at higher elevations such as Mt. Washington.
Locations & Schedule
The Highland II Reservoir is located near Mellon Terrace and Bunker Hill Road.
Start Date: March 2022
Completion Date: December 2022
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday from 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Traffic Patterns: All work will occur within the reservoir fence line