This stormwater project demonstrates the use of green stormwater solutions and beautified two vacant lots in the Garfield Neighborhood. We converted the lots into a stormwater park with rain gardens, bioretention, and trees.
Progress & Status
- The project captures stormwater runoff from areas directly uphill from Hillcrest Street.
- It redirects stormwater into a series of planted bioswales that filter water and slowly release it into the combined sewer system after storm events.
- Additional curb extensions, sidewalk improvements, and storm inlets help to address existing runoff and drainage issues and increase the total volume of stormwater managed at the site.
- It is estimated to control one million gallons of runoff annually.
- This project was partially funded by ALCOSAN’s GROW grant program.
Locations & Schedule
Start Date: Summer 2017
Completion Date: Fall 2018