We partnered with the City of Pittsburgh on improvements to Wightman Park within Squirrel Hill to create a safer, cleaner, greener, and more accessible park with better stormwater management.
Progress & Status
Through a public process that started in 2014, community members helped develop a master plan and the final design for an improved Wightman Park. The park now serves the dual purpose of providing recreational activities for nearby residents while also helping to reduce the stormwater impacts this neighborhood commonly experiences.
Wightman Park Stormwater Project: Phase One
- Regraded the park for better stormwater drainage.
- Constructed a rain garden that will hold 52,000 gallons of water.
- Installed underground stormwater storage below a new baseball field to hold over 300,000 gallons of water.
- Improved drainage along city streets, directing stormwater towards the stormwater management facilities in the park.
- This project is partially funded by ALCOSAN’s GROW grant program.
Locations & Schedule
Wightman Park in Squirrel Hill
Start Date: Design: Spring 2018. Construction: April 2019.
Completion Date: Design: Spring 2019. Construction: Fall 2020.