We work with developers who propose to construct, reconstruct, or modify a public sewer, water main, or associated public infrastructure such as hydrants, catch basins, and valves.
To start the discussion with us, schedule a pre-development meeting. At this meeting, requirements will be addressed in detail.
In general, the following are required:
- New infrastructure must be located in a public right-of-way (ROW). If proposing new infrastructure in a new ROW, it must be dedicated to the City of Pittsburgh. Applications start with the Department of Mobility and Infrastructure.
- All infrastructure will be constructed at the developer's expense.
- Installation must follow PWSA Standard Details.
- An agreement between applicable parties must be executed. Template agreements are available below. Terms are subject to change based on the scope of the project and the outcome of the pre-development meeting. Please do not submit an agreement prior to meeting with PWSA.
- All required documentation must be submitted prior to commencing construction.
- No new dead-end waterlines are permitted. The line must be looped.
- PWSA must be on-site for inspections at intervals established by PWSA.
- Street opening, traffic obstruction and PennDOT HOP permits must be obtained by the developer if required.
Specific requirements are outlined in Chapter 8 of our Developer's Manual.