The Four Mile Run Stormwater Project encompasses Schenley Park and several Pittsburgh neighborhoods including Garfield, Hazelwood, Oakland, and Squirrel Hill. This project will capture and route stormwater through a natural channel that will follow the path of the historic streams that formed Four Mile Run from Panther Hollow Lake to the Monongahela River. It will help to reduce combined sewer overflows, basement backups, and neighborhood flooding.
Progress & Status
Panther Hollow Lake
- Stormwater improvements to Panther Hollow Lake will enable us to manage the depth of the lake and control the volume of water entering the combined sewer system.
- The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is requiring a dam permit for the lake.
- We are working to obtain the necessary permits and meet safety regulations.
Junction Hollow: Stormwater improvements will follow the path of the former Junction Hollow Stream. This portion of the project will channel rainwater, restore streambanks, and plant native and climate tolerant vegetation.
Connection to the River: A deep gravity pipe will be installed to convey stormwater from Schenley Park and the Run Neighborhood to the Monongahela River.
- September 17, 2018 Walking Tour and Community Meeting: Walking Tour Handout, Presentation, Project Boards, Cross-Sections, and Area Maps
- November 14, 2018 Community Meeting: Meeting Agenda and Discussion Table Posters
- June 20, 2019 Community Meeting: Presentation
- September 25, 2019 Early Action Projects Walking Tour: Handout
- December 9, 2019 Community Meeting: Presentation, Project Boards, and Meeting Summary
- June 18, 2020 Community Meeting: Presentation, Meeting Recording, and Meeting Summary
- September 15, 2020 Community Meeting: Presentation, Presentation with Animation, Meeting Recording, Meeting Summary, and Exit Survey
- Preliminary Design Memorandum and Watershed Expansion Memorandum submitted to PWSA by Civil and Environmental Consultants (CEC) on September 4, 2019.
- Dam Safety Permit Application and Drawings submitted to the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection on October 21, 2019.
- Early Action Projects along Overlook Drive and the Bridle Trail have been constructed.
- You can provide comments about this project using our online Project Feedback Form.
Locations & Schedule
Start Date: Design Started: May 2018. Construction Expected: Spring 2021 (will begin after permits are approved)
Completion Date: Design Completion: Fall 2020. Construction Completion: There are multiple phases to the overall Four Mile Run Stormwater Project. Work will continue for several years.
If you have questions, please contact the Project Manager