Residential Permits

Online permit applications and credit card payments are now available! No paper applications will be accepted beginning November 1st. First-time applicants will be prompted to register for an account. 

Check and money order payments are still accepted. Begin your application online and mail your payment to 1200 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222 Attn: Permits. A technician will complete your permit digitally once payment is processed.

Begin your application now!

General Requirements

PWSA employee filling out paperwork.

Residential permits are for single-family homes that require new water and/or sewer taps or are reconnecting to an existing water and/or sewer service. This includes any partyline separations.

Residential permits do not require tap-in drawings unless work involves:

  • A single-family home with fire protection service
  • A lot has been subdivided 
  • More than 2 homes are being constructed as part of a planned development
  • More than 2 taps are to be terminated
  • Taps located on more than one lot are to be terminated

If your project includes any of the above, please review the development permit requirements or tap termination permit requirements and submit the appropriate application.

Any work occurring within a PennDOT right-of-way will require a PennDOT Highway Occupancy Permit.

Submission Requirements

All residential permits require submission of the Residential Application

All permit applications must be submitted online. Fees can be paid by check or credit card. Cash is not accepted. 


The residential permit application fee is $40. In addition to the permit fee, applicants must purchase the tap connection and the meter. This cost will vary based on size.

Typical connections for a single-family home are 1" service line and 5/8" meter at a total cost of $570. Please see our fee schedule for larger sizes.

Standard Details

Although residential permits are not subject to tap-in plan review, PWSA standard details still apply. 

Review Standard Details

Any questions should be directed to Permits at 412-255-2423  Option 4 or by emailing