We are not currently providing tours of the Water Treatment Plant due to COVID-19. To protect the health and safety of the public, they will be suspended until further notice. Thank you for your understanding during this unique time.
Touring the Aspinwall Water Treatment Plant is a unique experience for a school field trip, a research project, or an educational outing. You will learn about the source of your drinking water, the treatment process, and how it's distributed to taps throughout Pittsburgh. From March 16 through October 31, we offer tours to schools and community groups upon request. The tours last approximately 90 minutes, and we will work with you to cover the information your group is most interested in learning.
What to Know
- Tours are available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays between 8:00 AM and 3:00 PM
- Visitors must be at least 13 years old
- Visitors (or their legal guardian) must sign a waiver before the tour
- Those touring the Water Treatment Plant must wear sturdy, close-toed shoes
- Since the walking tour is mostly outside, dress appropriately for the weather (winter coat, raincoat, sunscreen, sunglasses, etc.)
- Tours are given rain or shine, unless severe weather occurs
- Attendees will walk over one mile (on flat ground) and climb several sets of stairs during the tour
Aspinwall Water Treatment Plant
900 Freeport Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15238
Tour Guidelines and Waiver